Almost half of all partners in the ‘top-named’ firms work in just 10 firms. 

The Australian has published its mid year partnership survey based on research from Eaton Strategy + Search.

41 law firms are included in the list. They are all well-known brand names in Australian legal services. The list doesn’t include the big accounting firms such as PWC.

Two firms stand apart from all the others in terms of partner numbers with HWL at 262.8 and Minters at 251.7 full time equivalent. These two firms represent 16% of all partners in the list.

Including these two firms, the top 10 make up 48% of partner numbers and the remaining 31 firms make up 52%. 

Over the past 6 months only 11 firms had reduced partner numbers.

Overall, partner headcount increased by 4.30% in the six month period. A strong result in a seemingly buoyant market.